We all want it. That youthful glow of a perfect complexion. There are some simple principles that can help you get there if you really want it. The bottom line is that you can use all the natural, beautiful skin care products that money can buy you but unless you are following these simple principles to keep your whole body healthy you will not achieve your skincare goals.
1. Don't over exfoliate. You should be exfoliating no more than 2-3 times per week. Try to find a natural and mild exfoliant. You don't need to be scrubbing the heck out of your skin and in fact you will cause more damage than good. You actually want to exfoliate in the morning when your skin is "waking up" and wants to be stimulated to reveal a healthy glow. (Try our Sweet Citrus Kisses Lemon Sugar face scrub for an all natural "dessert" treat for your face that exfoliates and brightens naturally.)
2. Don't sleep in makeup. No matter how tired you are, and yes we have all been there when all we desperately want is our pillow, you should never go to sleep with your face full of makeup and grime from the day. It clogs your pores, causes breakouts and build up. (Try our Kiss Me Clean Facial Cleansing Oil with Chia Seed Oil for a facial cleansing experience you won't want to skimp on!)
3. Don't skimp on water. You should be drinking lots of water and herbal tea (coffee, soda and alcohol does not count towards fluid intake!). Health experts estimate that you should be drinking between 2-4 litres per day to flush toxins and keep your skin moist and supple (be on the high end of this if you are very physically active and sweating lots). Signs of dehydration are dryness, wrinkles and a lacklustre complexion. (Helpful Tip: Get yourself a massive 2 litre jug to help you keep track easily of how much you have drank. I bet you think you drink more than you actually do!).
4. Don't skip SPF daily. Many people skip SPF if they aren't planning on spending the entire day outside in full sun but this thinking is wrong, sorry. You should make applying SPF a part of your daily routine even if you are sitting in your yogis inside all day. Better even still, find a daily moisturizer that contains built-in Broad Spectrum Mineral SPF or a natural face daycream that has plant based ingredients that provide protection from the harmful rays of the sun and the damage it can cause you.
5. Don't use nasty dirty makeup brushes. If you've never washed your makeup application brushes or can't remember the last time and if it was before or after Christmas holidays then it is time! You should be washing them every few months (3 months to be safe) to stop the spread of bacteria and acne breakouts. Try this recipe: with 1 tsp organic coconut oil, 1 c distilled water, 2 tsp castile soap, 1/2c witch hazel (makes 1 1/2 cups of makeup brush cleanser).
6. Don't pick at your skin. I was the worst at this bad habit as a teenager and I see my own daughters doing it now all the time to my dismay. It causes the spread of bacteria that causes acne (from the nasty dirt and bacteria living on your fingers and nails) and also causes scars that you will regret when you're in your twenties and beyond.
7. Don't use a dirty pillowcase. You should be changing your pillowcase at least weekly if not more frequently. The build up of oils from your hair and face can definitely cause bacteria to form and hence another acne flare up.
8. Don't keep touching your face. Again, I am bad for this one but at least I am very conscious of the habit and stop myself from touching my face as much as possible. It is my "thinking" pose to rest my chin on my hand and as a result I get blackheads and little pimples that form along my jar line (you can also thank mid-life female hormones for these type of breakouts btw). Another reason why using a good facial cleanser to remove the bacteria at end of day, after a workout, and more frequently if necessary is a good way to rid yourself of issues.
9. Don't use harsh chemicals and fragrances on your skin (or at all for that matter on your body or hair!). Tempting as it may be to want to strip your skin of all the dirt, especially when you are having a break out, stay away from the chemical laden products that are harsh and do more harm than good. The chemicals and synthetic fragrances you find in drug store products are proven to wreak havoc with our hormones, cause illnesses including cancers, and accelerate the aging process because you are stripping out the natural moisture that your skin needs in order to maintain suppleness, collagen and more.
10. Don't eat crap. What goes in, also comes out. In the form of acne breakouts, dryness, rashes, lacklustre, wrinkles, and more. If you ask any ND they will tell you that if you are having a skin reaction it is most likely as a result of your diet (perhaps food sensitivities or a diet that is heavy in sugar, gluten and dairy all known offenders of skin issues), lifestyle choices (high stress, lack of sleep) and perhaps some of the bad habits listed above.
Gorgeous skin, say hello. You're welcome :)
Now that you've read this blog, want to know more about Clean Kiss Organics?
We create 100% Natural and Organic, Canadian artisan handcrafted products that are simple and pure for your body, face and hair. It all started with natural deodorant and we have a gorgeous line of plant based premium skincare, body products and products especially made for curly hair.
We are 100% Vegan, GMO free, Gluten Free (and free of all unnecessary garbage!) and Leaping Bunny Certified (meaning we never test on animals and neither do our suppliers). We also proudly give a portion of our sales to health and wellness related charities, causes and education to empower people to take control of their health.
Check us out!